Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Colorful World

Remember the good old days back in preschool when your mom would dress you in the morning? You’d always have on a pretty dress, bow in your hair, Mary Janes, and, of course, tights. Then you grew up a little bit and got to about 5th grade. By that time, everyone wearing tights was just a baby. Jeans were the “cool” thing to wear, but if you absolutely had to wear a dress, you most definitely did not put tights with it. This is how I was, anyway, which was why I was surprised when I began to, well…like the new trend of tights. As a dancer, it’s definitely an understatement to say that I feel comfortable in tights. In fact, I feel quite at home in them. However, it was always a bit of a strange concept to me; wearing them without a leotard and ballet shoes. As it happens, my newfound love for tights in everyday life began when I attended my uncle’s funeral. I’ve been very lucky in my life, and this was only the third funeral I’d ever been to. However, that caused quite a quandary when choosing what to wear. After trying on outfit after outfit in my room for hours, I finally decided upon a black-and-white skirt, basic black tee, black kitten heel pumps, and black Capezio tights. I actually thought I looked quite chic. Keeping my legs covered was new to me, though, and I swore I’d stick to black. None of those crazy colors for me. I truly believed this would work…that is, until I came upon a pair of argyle (yes, argyle) tights in a recent issue of Lucky magazine. Somehow, they managed to be chic and playful at the same time. I am now on a search to find the best argyle, lace, colored, and any other kind of tights I can. Needless to say, I don’t think this is only a love affair. It seems to be for life.

No comments: