Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hats and Hatboxes


allprettylittlethings.blogspot.com

isuwannee.com

mygrannysatticantiques.com

ohdeedoh.com

stylehive.com

shoponline2011.com

Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong decade. I like to think I was better suited for the 1950s, when men wore suits everywhere, women considered it scandalous to show one’s ankles, and no matter where you went there was someone smoking a cigarette.

My latest ‘50s-inspired obsession is the hatbox. I can just imagine some glamorous woman walking down New York City’s 5th Avenue carrying one of these gorgeous packages; almost more gorgous than what it contains.

No one really wears hats anymore, with the exception of a beanie when it’s cold outside or a baseball hat at a sporting event, but these don’t really count in comparison to the highly fashionable toppers that women used to wear on a daily basis.

My personal favorite is the veiled hat: a small hat with a veil that falls in front of the face, covering the eyes. These are mysterious and beautiful and oh-so-ladylike all at the same time.

So all I have to say is: bring back hats!

No comments: